723 Coney Island Avenue | Brooklyn, New York | 11218
Cremation: The Advantages And Disadvantages
Cremation has emerged as a viable alternative to traditional burial due to various factors, such as the rising cost of burial land and the limited availability of cemetery space. The process has multiple advantages and disadvantages and involves burning the body at incredibly high temperatures, vaporizing and oxidizing soft tissues and organs, and leaving behind dry bone fragments.
The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Cremations
At Blair Mazzarella Funeral Home, many of our clients ask us about this process and its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages Of Cremation Include:
- Economical Use Of Cemetery Space- A small land area can accommodate more than ten cremated remains, maximizing floor space in cemeteries and columbariums.
- Cost-Effective- Cremation provides families with increased flexibility in organizing memorial services, allowing them to decide whether to include the ashes and where to hold the service.
- Simplified Funeral Process- It eliminates transportation, permits, and preparation complexities.
- Portability- With cremation, families have greater flexibility in arranging memorial services. They can hold a service with or without the ashes and choose the location of the service.
- Further Memorialization- Cremated remains can be turned into synthetic or lab-grown diamonds.
Disadvantages Of Cremation Include:
- Removal Of Implanted Devices- Pacemakers and other medical devices must be removed before cremation to prevent dangerous explosions.
- Religious Limitations- Some religions or cultures have religious and cultural objections to cremation. For instance, certain beliefs mandate that the body remain whole and buried.
- Unconventional Practice- Cremation is a relatively modern practice compared to traditional burial, which has existed for centuries. As such, some individuals may perceive cremation as lacking the cultural and traditional importance of burial.
- Environmental Impact- Cremation still requires a significant amount of fuel and releases large amounts of carbon dioxide, making it less eco-friendly.
Give Careful Consideration To The Cremation Option
It may be a difficult and stressful time for families to make decisions regarding their loved ones' last care. Before making a final choice, it's necessary to consider the advantages and disadvantages of cremation. Families can choose an option that aligns with their values and beliefs after consulting with an experienced funeral director about the various alternatives.
The funeral director will be able to advise you on all aspects of the cremation procedure, from planning the logistics to memorializing the remains. Careful deliberation and professional guidance may help families make decisions that will provide them solace and closure during loss.
For more information on the advantages and disadvantages of funerals, don’t hesitate to contact the experts at Blair Mazzarella Funeral Home at (718) 282-1164 or via this online form.