723 Coney Island Avenue | Brooklyn, New York | 11218
Important Facts To Know About Green Burials
Although many people want to adhere to established funeral customs, some families diverge from these norms. Some prefer funeral preplanning, while others choose green funerals, which are more environmentally friendly. It's a word that frequently comes up in various circumstances. As we've observed here at Blair Mazzarella Funeral Home, the vast majority of individuals have no idea what that phrase implies.
What Is A Green Burial?
Environmental awareness is rising, and people are actively looking for ways to reduce their carbon footprint. These lifestyle changes include the use of energy-efficient construction materials and equipment and water-efficient gardening techniques.
The funeral industry has also been influenced by this trend. The use of wood, concrete, and formaldehyde in traditional funerals can be harmful to the environment. Here are a few examples of how green burials differ from traditional ones:
- During a green burial, no embalming fluids are used, which means that the ashes are not preserved in any way.
- The mortal remains are buried in a biodegradable urn.
- There are no concrete vaults or burial liners.
- There is no concrete marker for the grave. Trees or natural stones can be used to create a focal point for a family's garden if they like.
- The land is tended to in an environmentally friendly manner.
- Cemetery facilities that offer green burial services include various native plants and trees on site.
- The plants are naturally cared for and preserved.
- The grounds are irrigated using water-saving technology and drought-resistant flora.
- The cemetery's lighting systems are environmentally friendly.
There are many advantages to using a green burial, as you can see here. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to our highly skilled and proactive funeral director. They'll also give you information about green funerals and cemeteries that offer these services. For more information about our customized funeral services or for help with preplanning your funeral, contact Blair Mazzarella Funeral Home.